Synopsis: The concept of this film was born out of the idea that so many of us really try to make our mornings count. Whether we’re writers or artists using those early hours to tap into our creativity, or we’re parents or spouses who are trying to make the first moments of our day really count, mornings are a sacred time of day. Many of us use those first hours of the day to go for a ski tour, bouldering, hit the gym, do yoga, or meditate. For me, when I’m lucky and not on a deadline, I like to take my mountain bike out for a ride on the trails surrounding Lake Tahoe. I thought that shooting a mountain-biking film in my backyard would be the ideal scenario. And it was fitting because during the short window of time I was given to create this film, mornings ended up being the only time of day I actually had to shoot! We worked with Kyle Smaine, an incredibly local athlete who is a world-class freeskier who can also ride a mountain bike like no one else. We shot Kyle tearing across a handful of my favorite trails and sections of granite in the Lake Tahoe basin.
Long ago I learned that the technical part of any job is 10 percent. Creativity, problem-solving, optimism, and surrounding yourself with intelligent, hardworking people is the remaining 90 percent. When you know how to be creative and assemble the right team, that’s when all great things come. I’m a photographer, director, and Nikon Ambassador based in South Lake Tahoe, California. I chose to live in one of America’s great outdoor playgrounds for its skiing, climbing, and biking opportunities because I believe that living in a place that inspires your passions directly translates into doing the best work of your life. South Lake Tahoe also acts like a magnet for talented, likeminded creatives. It’s where I’ve met some of my best friends and some of the most talented, inspired collaborators that I could ever imagine. My goal is to work on creatively satisfying projects, but what makes it all worthwhile are the lifelong friendships I’ve earned in the process.I live in South Lake Tahoe with my wife, Marina, our daughter, Leila, and our mutt, Preta (who happens to also be my favorite mountain-biking partner).